Friday, April 8, 2011

Department of Motor Vehicles

I am catching up on some older activities that I have been meaning to post about. In March, as we were learning about various vehicles, we had a day at the DMV. 

The kids needed driver's licenses for the cars we were making for our drive-through bank. I had each student take a number at the end of meeting. I taped numbers to their clothes so they could keep track of them. During play time, I was the DMV lady. I called their numbers. 

They came over to me and I asked them their eye color, birthday, if they were a boy or girl, and their street address (which we had practiced a lot during our post office theme). It was a fun way to find out if they knew these facts and to see how they answered questions. Next, I weighed them and measured their heights. Our scale runs a bit heavy, so I estimated down a couple of pounds for everyone. Then, we took their photo for the license. You may notice, none of them are very flattering--so true to the real DMV, don't you think?
An example of the resulting driver's license. I used my dog so as not to give away any personal information about kids. The last step after I printed out the licenses was to have the kids sign them. They also had to fill out the organ donor card on the back, which was a very fun conversation. They ran the gamut from, "No way," to whole body donors. They had to sign that, also. This gave them two opportunities to practice writing their names on small lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fairfield Laboratory Preschool Information

(802) 827-6639 in the Fairfield Center School
School Website: ffcsvt.org/